This week's blog is about alternative thinking. And what I mean about alternative thinking is, elegant ways to make your wedding stand out from most. I'm not talking about discount online invites vs. pricey special order invites...I'm talking left field, left of center, out of the norm, out of the box, off your cuff..alternative thinking.
Now this element to wedding planning is completely cool if you're adventurous; and terribly scary if you're not. Regardless of your comfort level, I'm sure you still want something unique to take place at your weddding. I mean, do you really want your wedding to be a copycat of your cousin's wedding from last summer? Hell to the naw! So let's figure out how out of the box you are, and things you can do that will suit your personality and budget!
So since you're a DIY Bride and are planning everything yourself, you will have to decide if you want to plan something hard or easy. It all depends on you, your mood, your budget and the professionals you hire. If you want something unique but don't have the temperment, budget or the time to see it through so it runs smoothly, then that's perfectly fine. And if you want somethng over the top outrageous, and have the money for it, then that is cool too. Either way, if you plan and execute it right, you'll have the DIVA wedding you've always wanted.
The first way to set your wedding a part from the traditional is, Location, Location, Location! Location will make or break a wedding. You will always need a place that will accommodate the number of expected guests for either the ceremony, the reception or both. The location has to be both functional and beautiful. Your location can be grand in scale or very quaint and simple. It can also be a reflection of you and your fiance, or it can be a reflection of your budget. Regardless, get a fabulous location to set your wedding a part from the traditional. Some examples of fab venues:
- Art Galleries
- Historic sites
Another way to set your wedding apart is through the various Menu Trends. If you haven't guessed by now, there are four things that guests will remember about your wedding...the location, the food, how you & the wedding party looked, and the entertainment. I'll be honest with you, most people just go to weddings for the free food and drink! LMBO Sorry to burst your fairy tale bubble! But it's true! Most people want a culinary experience outside of their everyday routine. So you know what, give it to them!!! Go outside the box and do something radical with your menu if your budget allows it. Like instead of doing the typical cold chicken and rice dish, splurge on beef and fish entrees. Matter of fact, if your guest count is low, go all in and do the prime rib! Who doesn't love prime rib?! Here are some other budget friendly menu trends you can try:
- Appetizers and Tapas selections (bit size, shareable portions)
- Family Style Seating and Dining (large meal portions designed for passing around a long table of guests)
- Special Gourmet Cuisine (your entire menu dedicated to a particular food genre such as comfort food, Thai food, Mexican, even Vegan entrees)
- Instead of a standard 3 or 4 tiered cake, offer individual sized Mini Cakes; or Cupcakes.
- Dessert bar or Candy table
- Offer a Signature Drink created just for you and your fiance. Have it made of liquors and fruit juices that will match your wedding colors!
And finally, another way to make your wedding day unique is to create an Experience for your Guests. Remember we talked about creating themes and experiences a few weeks ago? Now is your chance! How unique will it be to embed a theme into your day that your guests will remember for a lifetime! But like I said don't go overboard! Do something simple, do something over the top...just make sure you do it elegantly! Some ideas:
- During your ceremony, you and your husband have a tree planted, or give out seeds to your guests for them to plant. Something you and others will be able to see/visit for years to come.
- Hold a traditional ceremony based on religious beliefs; include attire, music, readings etc.
- Same goes for a traditional military ceremony with uniforms, swords drawn etc.
- Have your officiant perform a Sand Ceremony instead of lighting the typical unity candle.
- Incorporate a cultural custom within the ceremony or reception. As long as it isn't dangerous! LOL
- Select a theme you can execute during the ceremony without looking cheesy. For example, I did a wedding where the theme was "Cinderella". The bride arrived in a horse drawn carriage, her groom put on a silver slipper, and they released doves once pronounced husband and wife. And we pulled it off with elegance!
So Wed-heads, there are many ways that you can use alternative thinking to plan your wedding. Just remember, do not go over budget and do not go overboard! Wow your family and friends without going into debt or ending up on Intagram and You Tube! LMBO
Until next week, take care!